Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Is Your Cat Insured?

Besides veterinary insurance for your cat's health problems, now there is also auto insurance!

It won't pay for everything, but there is a new policy that covers cats and dogs who are injured in a vehicle accident.

Earlier this month, Progressive, the insurance company that has those engaging TV commercials, announced they will now cover pets that are injured (or, sadly, killed) in an accident while riding in your car.

Here's how it works:

You don't have to ask for it... it is automatically included in the collision part of your policy. However, you have to ask for the collision coverage. It's not required like liability is.

There is no deductible. However, the coverage is capped at $500 per accident. A small catch here is that the cap applies no matter how many pets are involved. So you can't expect multiples of $500 per animal.

This is not a replacement for veterinary health insurance. Many companies now cover health claims, but not accidents. Progressive's coverage ONLY covers injuries that result from the accident. They also cover replacement of the pet if it dies from the injuries.

To get a claim paid, all you have to do is send in the vet's bill. The company promises there will be no hassles.

Pet auto insurance is a very new feature in the industry and as far as I know, no other company offers it... yet. Progressive is (as they themselves say), well, progressive!

Check them out at www.progressive.com.

If you want to know more about pet health insurance, look at this web site:

Every Pet Matters.com